Álvaro was born in Seville, Spain in 1973.
Between 1995 and 1999 he completed his B.A. degree in Communication Arts from William Paterson University, Wayne, NJ.
After one year working for NBC in New York city, Álvaro returned to Spain in January, 2000. It is at this time when he started to work as an assistant for cameraman Néstor Calvo for a multitude of feature films and commercial spots. At the same time Álvaro alternated as cinematographer in several short films and music videos.
In 2005 Álvaro Gutiérrez began filming his first full lenght film as head cameraman “Bajo las estrellas” (dir: Félix Viscarret, 2007), by which he was nominated to the Goya (Spanish Film Academy award) for best cinematography in 2008. After that, he has taken charge of the cinematography of films directed by Álvaro Brechner, Diego Lerman, Jorge Dorado and Beatriz Sanchis among others.
Awards & Nominations
- Nominated to a Goya (Spanish Film Academy Awards) for Best Cinematography in 2008 for Under the Stars
- Nominated to a Silver Condor (Argentinian Film Critics Awards) for Best Cinematography in 2010 for La mirada invisible
- Winner for Best Cinematography in the Uruguayan Film Critics Awards for Mr. Kaplan (2014) and Bad Day to Go Fishing (2008)
- Winner of the Roel for Best Cinematography of Medina del Campo’s Film Festival for The White Album (2005) and Sofia (2006)
- Winner for Best Cinematography in Plataforma de Nuevos Realizadores (New Filmmakers Platform) for Limoncello (2008)
- Winner for Best Cinematography in Strasbourg Film Festival for Straw Men (2006)
- Innocent Killers (Dir. Gonzalo Bendala 2015)
- Mr. Kaplan (Dir. Álvaro Brechner 2014)
- They Are All Dead (Dir. Beatriz Sanchis 2014)
- Ali (Dir. Paco R. Baños 2012)
- The Invisible Eye (Dir. Diego Lerman 2010)
- Bad Day To Go Fishing (Dir. Álvaro Brechner 2008)
- Under the Stars (Dir. Félix Viscarret 2007)
- The Duchess II (Dir. Salvador Calvo 2011)
- Alakrana (Dir. Salvador Calvo 2010)
- The White Album (Dir. Félix Viscarret 2005)
- My Other Half (Dir. Beatriz Sanchis 2010)
- Winter Songs (Dir. Félix Viscarret 2004)
- A Good Man (Limoncello) (Dir. Jorge Dorado 2007)